Task. B2-C1 level. Article.
Write an article using 220-250 words about all the risks we take on holidays, giving different ideas. At the end of this post, you will find information about the structure of an article.
And this could well be an example…
Are you ready for adventure?
Constantly we ask ourselves this question when we decide to go away to the mountains with our family or friends, but what is the answer?
Mountains, unlike cities, attract us by their calm and solitude, far away from the deafening noise of the traffic that disturbs our calm. However, this distance causes that sometimes a small accident becomes very complicated and dangerous if we are not moderately prepared.
It is best to choose a basic protocol of behaviour in case of accident and to put it into practice with your family or friends because there can arise some doubts. These doubts can be caused by lots of questions such as what do we do if this happens? or the other? are we prepared for this? do we have the best information?
Undoubtedly the best protocol of action is prevention, in this way we will feel safe wherever we are. Here are some tips:
- Choose activities according to our knowledge, level and circumstances of the moment.
- Before carrying out the activity, collect as much information as possible: maps, climatology, etc.
- Take clothes according to the time of the year in which we are, considering that in the mountain the weather is changeable, and the temperature drops during the night.
- It is necessary to look over the material that we can need to realize the activity and the possible contingencies.
- Training is very important as well as experiences of others, they learned from the mistakes of the past (great mountaineers lost their lives due to lack of information).
In addition to these premises to follow is highly recommended to do a first aid course, this may be necessary in any place or circumstance, since we never know what can happen.
Another further risk at this time is the Coronavirus. Then, what kind of trips are the most recommended?
I think that all those options that involve open air, open spaces and little overcrowding. Modalities such as ecotourism, active nature tourism, traveling by bicycle, car or motorhome are in vogue. In fact, the demand for rural houses, motorhomes or campervans has grown a lot these days.
Don’t forget to choose a safe mean of transport (plane, train, car, cruise, etc.). Besides, you should be informed about if you are subjected to any sanitary control before travelling or if you need an extra time at the airport. Other important things are the travel and medical insurance. And do you know which countries have closed their borders or if they are planning to do it? Be that as it may, nowadays it is more complicated and hazardous to go on holidays so, don’t forget to take into account all these variants.
From my point of view, these are some small tips that can change our life when we have a problem on holidays. We have to leave everything ‘tied up and well tied up’, it could be a life-or-death situation.
PS; This is just an example of a writing and not always they express what I really think. You should know that sometimes some topics are really controversial. Although I recommend you to personalize your works such as, speakings, writings and so on. You will find it easier to do them.
Structure of an article
An article is a piece of writing for publication in a magazine, newspaper, etc. It may be formal or informal in style and has as a main purpose to provide information, present an opinion, describe a place, etc.
But there are some specialised articles such as the news reports, for brief publications in newspapers, written in a formal and impersonal style. And reviews, which can be formal or semi-formal, focused on assessing or discussing a book, a film, etc. They are normally written in present tenses.
But all of them consist of:
- It begins with an engaging headline, maybe a question. The title should give a clear idea of what the article is about, using the present simple tense. But I usually decide it at the end, because it is easier, after writing all the article you will have a much clearer view.
- After that, a short introductory paragraph, maybe two or three lines, a brief summary of what the article will show.
- A main body with different ideas addressed to a specific type of reader (maybe formal in style or informal using the second person “you”). It is really important to cover all the points given in the exam, separated into paragraphs. Besides, the article has to be consistent with the organization and adapt the language to the required level. Depending on the type of article, news report or review, you may use connectors such as: to begin with, it is widely known that, the main reason for, it is popularly believed that, as a general rule, initially, this film is set in, this play is directed by, this book is the sequel to… and so on.
- And finally, a conclusion, opinion, recommendation or comment. Depending on the type of article, you may use: to conclude, on the whole, if these suggestions were followed, to sum up, all in all, taking everything into account, you should definitely read, it is well worth seeing… Even you may finish with a rhetorical question to generate expectation.
Here, you will find more examples or click on Tag Cloud, on the right side of the screen.